illustration of students moving from a community college to a Cal State University

Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT)

West offers Associate Degrees for Transfer which include Associate in Arts (AA-T) and Associate in Science (AS-T) degrees. Also called “A Degree with a Guarantee,” Associate Degrees for Transfer were developed by California community colleges in partnership with the California State Universities to make it easier for students to transfer to a guaranteed saved spot in a similar major at a CSU campus to complete their bachelor’s degrees.

Students completing an Associate Degree for Transfer are given priority consideration for admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. In order to earn an Associate Degree for Transfer, students must complete:

  1. 60 semester units that are eligible for transfer to the California State University.
  2. The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) or the California State University General Education (CSU) – Breadth Requirements.
  3. A minimum of 54 semester units in a major or area of emphasis, as determined by the community college district.
  4. Obtainment of a minimum grade point average of 2.0.
  5. A grade of “C” or better in all courses required for the major or area of emphasis.

Students who have completed an Associate Degree for Transfer will have a strong academic foundation in the field and will be prepared for upper division baccalaureate study at the university. The coursework will satisfy most of the lower-division requirements at many institutions within the California State University system. Students transferring to a UC, private, or out of state university should consult with a West Los Angeles College counselor when planning to complete the degree since transfer requirements may be slightly different than those required for the Associate Degree for Transfer.

Once admitted and enrolled in a designated similar degree program at a CSU, you can complete your bachelor’s degree with as few as 60 additional semester units or 90 additional quarter units of coursework.