Student Selection and Notification
Students are selected from a large number of qualified applicants based on the selection criteria listed below. These criteria have been approved by the West Los Angeles College Academic Senate and are consistent with State regulations:
- A minimum of 60 units of degree applicable lower division coursework
- An overall minimum 2.5 GPA for all courses taken
- An overall minimum 3.0 GPA in science prerequisite courses within 7 years
- Completion of all pre-requisite coursework
- Completion of the CSU/IGETC transfer certification
- Interview of a Registered Dental Hygienist
Additional Considerations are given to applicants who demonstrate the following:
- Previous dental fieldwork experience verified by the employer.
- Dental Assistant Licenses or Certifications
- Ultrasonic Scaling Certification
- Pit and Fissure Sealant Certification
- Coronal Polishing
- DBC approved 8-hour Infection Control Certification
- DBC approved Radiographic Safety Certification
- Registered Dental Assistant License
- Completion of Non-Credit Courses toward Pre-Dental Career Preparation Certificate: Voc Ed 400 - Intro to Medical Terminology and Voc Ed 403 - Law and Ethics in Health Professions
- Applicants with Special Circumstances (military veteran, first-generation college student, foster youth, EOP&S, CALWORKS) are highly encouraged to apply.
All applications are carefully reviewed and ranked based on academic records and dental experience by allocating points to each required application criterion using a rubric.
The top-ranked students will be invited to the first part of the in-person dental hygiene program orientation and required to enroll in Orientation to Dental Hygiene (Voc Ed 407) - Part I.
Invitation letters to the Voc Ed 407 program orientation will be sent out 60 to 90 days after the application deadline.
Program entrance requirements, In-class writing assessments, dexterity assessments, and homework assignments will be provided during Voc Ed 407 course and successful course completion are required for the entrance of the program.
The final acceptance letters will be sent out to the thirty-five students within 30 days after the completion of the Voc Ed 407 Part I course.
The accepted student is required to request a background criminal record screening and attendance of Voc Ed 407 Part II during intersession. Information for the required materials to start the dental hygiene program is provided. Payment for the first-semester student kit is due during the Voc Ed 407 Part II before starting the semester.
A physical examination, verification of immunity, vision test, and drug test must be completed prior to the start of the program. Student health services can provide most of these tests at reduced student rates.