Bachelor Degree Completion Pathway Program
AS to BS Degree - ALL ONLINE
Applications are accepted anytime!
If you are interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org
*Entrance in the Program is Permitted During ANY INTERSESSION or SEMESTER - COURSES CAN BE TAKEN AS FULL-TIME OR PART-TIME STUDENT.
The West Los Angeles College Dental Hygiene Program is offering a Bachelor of Science degree completion pathway for Dental Hygiene-Associate Degree graduates from an accredited dental hygiene program. The program is designed for the working professional.
The Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene program is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges and the Commission on Dental Accreditation, and approved by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office, Los Angeles Community College District Board of Trustees, the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) and the Dental Hygiene Committee of California. The Commissions are specialized accrediting bodies recognized by the Commission on Recognition of Post-Secondary Accreditation and by the United States Department of Education.
The Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene degree completion pathway will expand into areas of teaching methodology, policy and leadership that prepare the student for alternative opportunities by a broad based general education component, including critical thinking, analysis, writing and research.
The program consists of one to two academic years* and will award the Bachelor of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene upon successful completion of all courses and program requirements. The students in the completion pathway must have graduated with an associate degree in Dental Hygiene from an accredited dental hygiene program and are licensed dental hygienists (RDH). Students will take upper division coursework focused on developing communications and critical thinking skills necessary for the Bachelor of Science degree in Dental Hygiene. Successful completion of a capstone project is also required for the degree. The BSDH degree requires completion of one of the following general education patterns before or during the program.
CSU General Education Transfer Breadth Curriculum requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC).
*Courses will be offered on specific semesters (Fall or Spring) or intersession (Summer or Winter).
Admission to the Dental Hygiene Bachelor of Science Degree Completion Pathway requires to fullfill following criteria:
- Graduation from an accredited dental hygiene program
- Cumulative College GPA 2.75- Transcripts from all colleges (Copy from LACCD)
- Licensed Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) in California
Enrollment Fees and Tuition*:
Course fees are $130 per unit ($46 regular course fee, plus $84 upper division course fee). Upper Division Coursework Fee (California Education Code (CEC), 78042(g)(5); CCR, title 5, section 58520 –additional upper division course fee of $84/unit for semester colleges charged on all upper division courses that are part of an approved Baccalaureate Degree Pilot Program.
BS Degree completion program tutition cost will be 40 units x $130 = $5,200.
* Classes may require books or additional material.
Please see the out-of-state and international student's tuition rates on the Financial Aid Tuition & Fees page. The upper-division course fee of $84 will be added to the lower division enrollment fee.
- GE Transfer certificate (CSU or IGETC)
- Must complete the following lower division GE before or during the program.
- ANTHRO 102 - Cultural Anthropology (3 units)
- ENGLISH 103 - Critical Thinking (3 units)
- MATH 227 0R 227-S - Statistics (4 units)
- 40 units from Dental Hygiene courses from AS degree (from a Dental Hygiene Degree from a regionally and the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) accredited institution.
- Anthropology 322 Cultural Anthropology (3 units)
- English 420 Research Design and Methodology (3 units)
- DEN HY 323 Dental Practice Management and Leadership (3 units)
- DEN HY 452 Law and Ethics for Dental Hygiene (2 units)
- DEN HY 460 Dental Hygiene Leadership Study and Practice (3 units)
- DEN HY 450 Advanced Periodontal Seminar (1 unit)
- DEN HY 462 Survey of Oral Health Care Systems (3 units)
- DEN HY 461Teaching Methodology for Health professions (3 units)
- DEN HY 463 Health Careers Research and Practice (3 units)
- Biology 408 Pharmacology (3 units)*
- DEN HY 421 Dental Hygiene Capstone (5 units)*
- DEN HY 304 Dental Health Education and Practicum (2 units)*
- DEN HY 305 Community Dental Health (3 units)*
- DEN HY 355 Preventive Dentistry and Nutrition (3 units)*
* The courses above are approved by the Curriculum Committee to grant credit to any students who passes assessment approved by proper authorities (Dental Hygiene National Board Examination, the Western Regional Examination Board (WREB), the Central Regional Dental Testing Service (CRDTS) and other examination approved by the Dental Hygiene Board of California (DHBC)
(80 units Lower Division Courses plus 40 units Upper Division Courses)
Turn in your application anytime via email. Send it to email@example.com
Application filing procedures must be followed carefully. Application Form
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Health Science Division Office
Phone: (310) 287-4464
Lisa Kamibayashi, RDH, MSDH
Dental Hygiene Program Director
Phone: (310) 287-4457
Dental Hygiene Counseling Appointments
Please contact the Counseling office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to state that you are a Dental Hygiene student and include your student ID number, reason for the appointment and your availability.
If you prefer, you may contact Counseling through live chat instead (scroll down to Counseling Window 1, 2 or 3).