The Language Arts Division offers a variety of courses designed to empower your communication skills. You will find classes to fit your schedule at a variety of days and times on campus. If you prefer to learn from home, check our array of online classes, which are offered in 8-week, 12-week, and 15-week semesters.
We recommend that you start your writing classes at the beginning of your freshman year. Getting a head start in English will help you succeed in all of your classes. Once you complete English 101, College Reading and Composition, explore our intriguing literature courses, everything from Shakespeare to Science Fiction.
Our Communication Studies faculty understands your needs and concerns. We’re ready to help you gain confidence as an effective speaker, whether you’re speaking to a group or communicating with your friends, co-workers and family.
We’re ready to help you fortify your skills.
Looking forward to working with you!
- English Associate Degree (AA-T): Major Code 1501.00 | Department Website
- Chicana/o Studies Associate Degree (AA-T): Major Code 2201.60 | Department Website
- Communication Studies 2.0 Associate Degree (AA; AA-T): Major Code 1506.00 | Department Website
- French Associate Degree (AA): Major Code 1102.00 | Department Website
- Philosophy Associate Degree (AA-T): Major Code 1509.00 | Department Website
- Spanish Associate Degree (AA; AA-T): Major Code 1105.00 | Department Website
Degree / Certificate Requirements
ENGLISH 101Y is designed to help you meet the ENGLISH 101 requirement for graduation and/or university transfer the first time. Students receive additional support with successfully completing assignments. This course is offered online and in-person... English 101Y flyer
WHY TAKE FRENCH? French is spoken in 40 countries and is great for work and travel, not to mention it's the "language of love"...about our French classes
New Chicana/o Studies Degree & Program:
West now offers an Associate Degree for Transfer in Social Justice Studies: Chicana/o Studies…about the degree
Faculty Offices Are In GC, 2nd Floor.
Office: GC 280M
Prof. Clare Norris-Bell
Phone: (310) 287-4590