WEE: Student Information
The Work Experience Education (WEE) program helps students achieve their educational and career goals through internships. This is a unique experience for students because it provides an opportunity to combine classroom education with mentored work experience.
To get started, you first complete the orientation on Canvas. Just to go this link: https://ilearn.laccd.edu/courses/231225, then click "Join this Course" on the top right corner of the screen. Then, you'll log in to your student account and complete the orientation. There will be more information on the program in the orientation.
If you have any trouble starting the orientation, you can watch this video that demonstrates how to sign up: https://youtu.be/4EdtJK5EvNQ
Work Experience Education Eligibility
- The student must be employed, volunteering, or interning a minimum of 5 to 20 hours per week during the semester prior to registering for WEE.
- The student must inform their employer of their role in the WEE program since they will be approving and signing the program application (ELA), the evaluation forms, and timesheets to verify hours.
Here's how to get started:
Prospective students must first apply for admission if they are new or returning students that have not enrolled in more than one year in West Los Angeles College. To apply for admissions at WLAC, click here, and then click the blue "Apply Now!" button under "College Credit Application.
Remember you must:
- Be employed, volunteering, or interning a minimum of 5 to 20 hours per week during the semester prior to registering for WEE.
- Inform your employer of their role in the WEE program since they will be approving and signing your program application (ELA), the evaluation forms, and timesheets to verify your hours
Determine the number of units you can enroll in based on the number of hours you will work/intern/volunteer during the semester:
|Units||Course offerings||Required Hours|
|0.5||Coop Ed 095||27 hours - 54 hours|
|1||Coop Ed 195||54 hours - 107 hours|
|2||Coop Ed 295||108 hours - 161 hours|
|3||Coop Ed 395||162 - 215 hours|
|4||Coop Ed 495||216+ hours|
Join and Complete the orientation on Canvas by going to: https://ilearn.laccd.edu/courses/231225, then click "Join this Course" on the top right corner of the screen. Then, you'll log in to your student account and complete the orientation by going through all the modules.
- If you have any trouble starting the orientation, you can watch this video that demonstrates how to sign up: https://youtu.be/4EdtJK5EvNQ
Submit the Program Application & Workplace Learning Objectives via College Central Network (CCN) with your employer's input and approval.
- Go to https://www.collegecentral.com/wlac/, click "Sign up", and create an account using your LACCD ID (starts with 900) as your username. Then click "Experiential Learning" on the left menu, then click "Submit a New workplace learning objectives agreement".
- Video instructions are in this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzH4U2FbVnY
- If you are a minor, please email us your work permit or volunteer permit (Please note, the permit needs to be signed by your parent, your work site supervisor, and your school).
The WEE Application, Workplace Learning Objectives & Program Agreement (ELA), and the proof of orientation completion must be verified and approved by the WEE Coordinator before adjusting your student record, permitting you to register for a specific WEE course. You will then be provided with the section number and permission numbers (if applicable) of the classes you need to enroll in.
Click here to view the instructions to add the classes and carefully read the instructions in the email you receive.
- Once you enroll in the WEE Course, you must log in to canvas https://ilearn.laccd.edu to access the WEE canvas where all documents must be submitted.
- Work the appropriate number of hours per unit enrolled during the length of the course.
- Maintain a record of your working hours and turn in your timesheet summary signed by your supervisor through WEE Canvas by the last week of class.
- Attend an Employment Prep. Workshop and provide proof of attendance through WEE Canvas
- Submit the Student Final Self-Evaluation
- Attend the Midterm meeting and Exit meeting
- Submit Exit Survey (extra credit)
Andrea Rodriguez-Blanco, Work Experience Coordinator
Phone: (310) 287-7215
Phone: (310) 848-7400 (text)