Other Federal Aid

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant (BIA)

BIA grants provide money to help defray the costs of education for students of American Indian Heritage. Students may apply if they:

  1. Are at least one-quarter American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut, as certified by the BIA and/or by tribal group services of the BIA;
  2. Are enrolled members of a federally recognized tribe;
  3. Have financial aid eligibility and scholastic ability;
  4. Are working toward an undergraduate or graduate degree;
  5. Have completed all of the application requirements.

The amounts of the grants vary according to the individual agency of the BIA.

For Higher Education Grant applications, write to:

2800 Cottage Way
Sacramento, California 95825

Or Call (916) 978-6057

TRIO/Student Support Services Program

TRIO is a federally funded program designed to assist those transferring to a four-year college or university.

Eligibility is based on low income, first generation or disabled college students with academic need. Students must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

TRIO provides academic career and personal counseling, cash grants, tutoring, skills/information workshops, priority registration, cultural activities, field trips, computer lab usage, and laptop loaning.


AmeriCorps is a network of local, state, and national service programs that connects more than 70,000 Americans each year in intensive service to meet our country’s critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. For more information go to www.americorps.gov.