Student Grievance and Complaint Resolution Process

Most student complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level. This is the quickest and most successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC). If you are unsure about your type of complaint or how to submit a complaint, please contact the Office of the Ombudsperson at @email or (310) 287-7288. Administrative Regulation E-55 only applies to Grade Grievances.

By clicking on the Grade Grievance link below, you can find out more about the process for contesting a grade. If you wish to submit a complaint about an instructor, please use the Professor/Class Complaint link below. This form is not for discrimination complaints about an instructor or a class. If you feel like you have been discriminated against by an instructor or during a class, please visit, where you can find out about how to file a discrimination complaint.

Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented to: