Jobs in Biotechnology
In the LA region, entry level pay rates for biotechnology jobs range from $17 to $19 per hour. With more experience and education, your hourly wage could go as high as $30 per hour! Industries who need biotechs include: scientific research, medicine and health care, agriculture, manufacturing, quality control and more...additional information
To get started, enroll in BIOTECH 001 & 002
Help Getting Started (Mon-Thur)
$0 TUITION College Promise Program
For any questions, email: Tiffany Miller, Dean at MillerTs@WLAC.edu
What is Biotechnology?
Biotechnology is the application of biological and biochemical skills to the preparation of new and enhanced agricultural, environmental, clinical and industrial products. Biotechnology uses biological systems, such as bacteria, yeast or even human cells, to develop or make products that improve the health and well-being of humans.
Today's biotechnology uses the principles and techniques of:
- molecular & cell biology
- immunology & microbiology
- biomedical engineering - including biomaterials
The products created through biotechnology have uses in 4 major industrial areas:
- food production and safety
- non-food crop production - biodegradable plastics and biofuels
Earn Your Certificate in Just 1 Year
The Biotechnology program being offered at West LA College focuses on providing our students with the theoretical knowledge and hands-on laboratory skills to work as a laboratory technician in a wide variety of agricultural, environmental, pharmaceutical and biomanufacturing laboratories. Areas of instruction include: bioinformatics, gene identification, immunoassays, DNA sequencing, genetic engineering, industrial microbiology, cell culture, production processes, biotechnology ethics and regulations.
West's Biotechnology program is designed so that student's can earn a Certificate of Achievement in just 4 semesters.
- Semester One: Biotech 001 - Fundamentals of Biotechnology (3 units) AND Chemistry 060 - Introduction to Chemistry (5 units) **
- Semester Two: Biotech 002 - Biotechnology I
- Semester Three: Biotech 003 - Biotechnology II
- Semester Four: Biotech 102 - Cell Culture
**Those students who have already taken Chemistry 60 as a general education credit will NOT have to repeat this course and can apply it to their certificate
Our Biotechnology program has:
- state of the art facilities and equipment to provide learning environments that duplicate what you will find on the job
- highly trained faculty who will teach you everything you need to know to find and keep a job in the biotech field
- opportunities for competitive internships to provide you with on-the-job training
Dr. Kareen Martin, PhD
Office: GC 210 | Email: email@example.com | Phone: (310) 287-4415
Dr. Patricia Zuk, PhD
Office: MSB210 |Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Phone: (310) 287-4452
Did you know...
LA and Orange counties are two exciting biotechnology hubs with a strong demand for workers with training in biotechnology.
The Greater LA area has more than 4,300 biotechnology and bioprocessing jobs, employing nearly 100,000 people in the biotechnology field!!
In Orange County, there are more than 1,000 Biotech/Bioprocessing companies.
As a biotechnology technician, you can be part of this exciting field. Potential employers (both private and academic) of biotech technicians include:
- Medical clinics & labs
- Food Inspection sectors
- Life science research labs
- Livestock & Agricultural labs
- Hospitals & Pharmacies
Possible job titles include:
- agricultural technician
- medical laboratory technician
- biological sciences research lab technician
- food safety technician
- bioprocessing or manufacturing technicians
- quality control and quality assurance technicians
- health and safety inspector
Join Our Information Session
THUR, MAR 24 @ 2:00PM