Skip to Content


New Students: Pre-Arrival Information


Obtaining admission to West is only the first step to begin (or continue) your education in the United States. You will need to complete additional requirements before the semester begins to ensure you meet student and nonimmigrant requirements. Carefully review and take the actions stated below.

Fall 2020 Update: Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, we are providing all services online. Please submit all forms and requests to

Required Tasks

After receiving your West LA College admissions letter, please complete the tasks below. If you have not received an admissions letter, follow the admissions steps here or email for more information.


Step 1. Obtain and Validate Your I-20

Transfer-In Students - Students inside the United States who would like to transfer an active I-20.

1. Provide the WLAC admission letter to your current school's international advisor.

2. Request transfer of your active SEVIS record from your current school's international advisor. Send to West Los Angeles College (LOS214F00969000).

3. Notify the International Student Program when your I-20 has been transferred.

Change of Status - Students inside the United States who would like to change their status to F1.

1. Request an I-20 from

  • Your I-20 can be emailed, mailed to a U.S. address (free of charge), or mailed to an international address via express mailing.

2. Pay the I-901 Fee (SEVIS Fee).

3. File the Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) with USCIS.

4. Notify the International Student Program as soon as you receive your I-539 approval/denial.


Step 2. New International Student Program Orientation

The New International Student Program Orientation is mandatory. Students who do not attend may have their admission to West withdrawn.

Spring 2021 Orientation: Thursday January 21, 2021 at 10am.

  • Register for the orientation here.


Step 3. Meet with an academic counselor

This appointment is your opportunity to discuss educational goals with an academic counselor. At the conclusion, the counselor will provide you with a Comprehensive Student Education Plan (CSEP) with semester-by-semester class recommendations.

  • Make an appointment here.

If you've attended another U.S. college, bring your transcripts to the appointment. If you've attended a non-U.S. college, complete the foreign transcript evaluation first.

Official transcripts and evaluations must be sent to Unofficial transcripts and evaluations may be brought to the counseling appointment.


Step 4. Enroll Full-Time (12 or more units)

Log in to your student portal at and register for the classes listed in your student education plan. Enroll as a full-time student and pay all fees before the deadline.

Fall 2020 Update: Due to COVID-19, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is temporarily allowing F1 students to take all of their classes online. However, this is a temporary measure and all F1 students will be required to take at least 9 of the 12 units on-campus or through hybrid classes when the college resumes normal operations.

Student Health Insurance Plan (IMED)

All F1 students attending West LA College are charged an international medical insurance fee (IMED) equal to the cost of medical insurance purchased by the District on the student's behalf (LACCD Board Rule 2309.30).

To learn more about your health insurance plan, please visit