Skip to Content


FI Visa: Forms & Petitions


The information below is designed to answer many of the most frequently asked questions. If you require additional assistance, please contact or visit the International Student Program(Student Services Building, 4th Floor) 


Assessment Test (English v. ESL) Information

Review the linked document for a quick reference on the similarities and differences between the English and English Second Language Assessment Tests. Please review carefully before attending your assessment test appointment. 


Check In Form

Review, type, and deliver the linked check in form to the International Student Program every fall and spring semester. 


Concurrent Enrollment Petition

WLAC International Students are required to request permission to enroll in classes at other college/universities. Coursework completed at other colleges will not be applied toward your full-time requirement without prior approval. Download, complete, and submit the petition to 


NOTE: Students from other college/universities may enroll at WLAC on a part-time basis. You must first apply online using the PART TIME APPLICATION LINK. You will then need to submit:

  • Permission Letter from college advisor (at school that issued your I-20).  Include your Full Name, Date Of Birth, and LACCD ID # if you previously applied anywhere throughout our district. That information must be legible for processing. 

Documents can be submitted to the International Student Program (SSB 410) or sent via email to 


Change of Status Information

Review this document for instructions on changing your current visa type to F1 Visa. 


Cost of Attendance: 

Review this document for our projected cost of attendance. 


Drop Below Full Time Petition: 

Review, type, and send the linked petition when/if requesting to drop below full-time status. 



Employment opportunities are limited and should not be considered a source of income to meet minimum financial obligations. Student must obtain employment on his/her own, obtain an Employment offer letter, obtain an LACCD employee number, then schedule an appointment with the International Student Program You may begin by reviewing the


English Proficiency (Approved) 

Review this document for approved English proficiency indicators. 


Enrollment Deadlines (Add, Drop, Refund)

Review the different enrollment deadlines to avoid unnecessary fees and negative marks on your transcripts.


Express Mailing

Review this document for instructions on how to request out-of-country shipping to your home country. 


Extend I-20 Petition

Review, type, and send the linked petition to apply for an extension of your I-20. You must submit the request and supporting documents at least 10 business days before your I-20 expires. 


Medical Insurance (IMED)

Current students should review the linked document to learn more about your IMED insurance policy, how to access your insurance card, how to see a doctor, and what to do in an emergency. IMED is automatically assigned to all F-1 Visa students at West without exemption (LACCD Board Rule 2309.20). 


Online/Hybrid Verification Petition

Review, type and send the linked petition to if you wish to receive a letter verifying enrollment in online/hybrid courses at West. 


Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT provides students a legal employment/internship pathway. Review the link above for detailed instructions and eligibility requirements.  OPT approved students must REPORT EMPLOYMENT to ensure you do not exceed the unemployment period and have your OPT and I20 auto-cancelled. 


Out of Status Comparison

Review the linked document if you were recently informed that your I-20 was terminated and you with to gain admission to WLAC. 


NOTE: West does not issue Reinstatement I-20's for students that were terminated at another college/university; though we may consider issuing an Initial I-20 for travel purposes. 


Readmission Petition

Students that applied within the past 12 months are unable to update their application information; however, your information requires an update to offer you part-time OR full-time admission for the coming term. 


Student Services Summary Sheet

Review the linked document for a quick reference to the locations, contact information, and free student success services available to West students. 


Termination Policy 

Review the linked document for current policies on student status. 


Transfer-Out I20 Petition/Survey

Review the linked document for recommendations on re-entry to the U.S. as an F1 visa student. 


Travel Recommendations

Review the linked document for recommendations on re-entry to the U.S. as an F1 visa student.