Skip to Content



How to Apply

Applications are accepted throughout the year for the West Language Academy. The application process for the West Language Academy is easy if you follow these instructions.



Step 1

Complete the West Language Academy Application here.
You must complete the Confidential Financial Statement. You must attach proof that you have $8,500 USD available for fees and living expenses for four months.
Complete the Confidential Financial Statement and provide original bank statements so that we may verify these funds are available. Other original documentation may be required. Your funds may be from an applicant, a sponsor, or from both. Your funds may also be from a government scholarship, but not from corporate or business accounts.


Step 2

Also include with your West Language Academy Application form:

  • One passport-sized photo.
  • A photocopy of the inside of your passport.
  • A copy of your diploma and transcripts (optional)
  • If you plan to transfer to West Los Angeles College or any other college to take credit classes for a degree, then you should also include your high school diploma (graduation certificate) and transcripts. Please provide diploma and transcripts from a Secondary School with official English translation or diploma and transcripts from a U.S. high school.


Step 3

Read and sign your application.  Mail, email or hand-deliver your original West Language Academy Application Form and other attachments with the $75 / $175 / $295 nonrefundable application fee to West Los Angeles College.

Original forms, documents, and signatures are required upon registration of your I-20.

Delivery Address:
West Language Academy
Westside Extension
Attention: Lisa Saperston
West Los Angeles College
9000 Overland Ave.
Culver City, CA  90230  USA



Step 4

After you submit your completed application packet, we will review it and contact you within 72 hours. Note: an admissions decision may be delayed if your application packet is incomplete. We will notify you by email or text/call if preferred, if you are missing documents or if other requirements have not been met. Upon approval for admission to the West Language Academy and payment of tuition for at least one session, you will receive an I-20. It will then be your responsibility to take your I-20 to apply for a student visa. If your F-1 visa request is denied, then you may defer your start date and reapply for a visa or request a refund for any prepaid tuition.


Step 5

Once you are approved for the student visa, make your arrangements to attend the West Language Academy. We recommend that you check in with our office at least five days before your first class. On the first day of class, you must attend an orientation about the program. At the orientation, we will give you lots of information about the program and place you in the proper class. Our goal is to make your stay at West a pleasant one.

IMPORTANT: English language proficiency is not a requirement for registering with the West Language Academy.

Note, you may be able to enroll at West Los Angeles College as an international student in the credit program if you meet any of these English language requirements:

  • English is your native language.
  • You scored at least 450 PBT or 45 IBT on the TOEFL test; WLAC TOEFL Code is 4964.
  • You scored 4.5 or higher on the IELTS Academic test form.
  • You scored 3.0 or higher on the ITEP exam.
  • You have attended a U.S. school for two years.


If you have any questions about your application, contact:

Lisa Saperston
Telephone:  (310) 463-6799

For information on International students at West Los Angeles College here.

When to Arrive in the U.S.

International students entering the United States with an F1 visa are not permitted to arrive more than 30 days prior to the program start date indicated on the I-20 form. We encourage newly admitted students to arrive at West L.A. College about 14 days prior to the beginning of the WLA  session start date. This allows time to recover from jet lag, discover Culver City and West Los Angeles College, and find housing and public transportation. You should also plan to check-in with  the Westside Extension office before your class begins.