ACT | Online/Hybrid Classes | Westside Extension

Direct Student Loans

A caution about student loans: It takes time for a loan application to be processed by the school, and/or the government. Student loans are certified after all financial aid requirements have been verified and awarded.


Direct Loan Program (Direct Loan Workshop is Mandatory)

Financial Aid Transitions to the Direct Loan Program


West Los Angeles College will transition to the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program (DL) from the U.S. Department of Education, effective Fall 2010. We are excited to be joining thousands of U.S. colleges and universities in the DL program with the knowledge of providing continuous financial assistance to the students at West Los Angeles College.


Direct Loan Guide and Request Form -  (Direct Loan Workshop is Mandatory)


How does this change affect me?

New and returning student borrowers will be required to e-sign a Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note and Federal Direct Loan Entrance Counseling at: To complete an MPN online, you will be required to use your Department of Education issued PIN. If you do not have a PIN, you may request one from the official PIN site.


First time Direct Loan Borrowers.

If you are a first-time borrower on or after July 1, 2013, there is a limit on the maximum period of time (measured in academic years) that you can receive Direct Subsidized Loans. This time limit does not apply to Direct Unsubsidized Loans or Direct PLUS Loans. If this limit applies to you, you may not receive Direct Subsidized Loans for more than 150 percent of the published length of your program. This is called your “maximum eligibility period.” Your maximum eligibility period is based on the published length of your current program. You can find the published length of any program of study in the West Los Angeles College catalog.


What is the difference between the Direct Loan Program and the Federal Family Education Loan Program (FFELP)?
The most important difference between the two programs is the source of loan funding. Direct loans come through the U.S. Department of Education and are obtained from the U.S. Treasury. This program offers student one point of contact because the loans are made, backed and serviced by the U.S. Department of Education. FFELP funds come from independent lenders (banks). The guarantor and servicer may be other agencies. Very often the student's loan is "sold" to another lender or servicer. This can be confusing for the student and can complicate the repayment process.


What will happen to the existing loans that I have borrowed from other lenders?

After graduation, you have a choice. You may either make individual payments to your previous lender(s) and to the Department of Education for your Direct Loans, or you can consolidate your loans into one simple payment. You may either consolidate all your loans with your previous lender, or with the Department of Education. However, many private lenders have discontinued their consolidation services.


Will the change in loan programs cause my prior loans to go into repayment?

No, your prior Stafford loans will not go into repayment as long as you remain enrolled at least half time.


Will I have to undergo a credit check to borrow a direct loan?

Neither FFELP nor the Direct Loan Program requires credit checks for students seeking Subsidized or Unsubsidized loans.


If you still have questions regarding Direct Loans, or if you need any other financial aid information, please contact 310-287-4532.


Federal Perkins Loan Program

The Federal Perkins Loan Program is a low 5% fixed interest loan to help students with exceptional need meet their educational expenses. Loan amounts awarded within the Los Angeles Community College District are determined by individual colleges and the availability of funds.


Repayment begins nine (9) months after the borrower graduates, withdraws, or ceases to be at least in half-time studies, and can be extended to ten (10) years and nine (9) months after such date. During the repayment period, five percent (5%) interest is charged on the unpaid balance of the loan principal.


Usually, the length of the repayment period is determined by the total amount borrowed. Should a student experience unforeseen circumstances which prevent repayment at the $120 per quarter minimum level, a request for deferment or forbearance can be submitted to the:


Central Loan Administration Unit (CLAU)
770 Wilshire Boulevard, 5th Floor
Los Angeles, California, 90017


To determine eligibility for loan rehabilitation or loan cancellation for teaching, qualified employment, military service and total and permanent disability, please contact the CLAU at (800) 822-5222.